How to keep parsley and cilantro

I got the greatest tip from a friend on how to store fresh parsley and cilantro...and it works!

Just clip off the bottom half inch or so of the bunch and put it in a glass jar filled with water, just like you would do for fresh flowers.  Then voila! just keep it on your counter.  No refrigeration needed!  Change out the water every couple of days, and reclip the bottom of the stems a couple of times a week.  Just snip and wash whatever you need.

My friend says she has kept parsley for a month this way!  I tried it and have had both going for several days now, and it's working just as she said.  I have tried the jar thing before, covered with a plastic bag, in the fridge, but have been so annoyed at how much room it takes up.

An added benefit is the beautiful greenery sitting right there in my kitchen--especially nice in these colorless, wintery months.

And of course you've probably read how fantastic both parsley and cilantro are for your health...

PARSLEY serves as an internal cleanser, aids in digestion, rich in vitamins A, B1, B-complex, C, potassium, manganese, phosporus, calcium, and iron.  Good for a breath freshener.  Works well in juicing.

CILANTRO, also called coriander, helps to detoxify the body of mercury and other toxic metals and is rich in calcium, iron, carotenes and vitamin C.

So now maybe I'll use these health-giving herbs more with my indoor "garden" at my fingertips!

***************************

P.S.  This added a couple of days later:  I've found that cilantro doesn't do quite as well as the parsley and needs to be used sooner.

2 comments:

doehillhomeschool said...

This is a really good kitchen tidbit. I usually don't buy a lot of fresh herbs because I'm afraid I won't use them all before they get wilty and yucky [pardon my technical jargon, LOL]. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good tip! Unusual parsley/cilantro can be kept unrefrigerated--will have to try that. I have found too you can refresh, crisp, & keep kale well in a glass of water in the fridge with the plastic over. I tend to use it more since it keeps better now. It's wonderful chopped & sauteed in a little coconut oil.