Homemade deodorant

I have been following with interest a thread on a Sonlight forum about how to make your own deodorant and its success.  I've been surprised at the accolades that keep coming...so I made some and tried it.  It works!  I'm actually liking it better than anything I've bought, even Tom's and Jason's from the health store.  And you can't beat the price!!

Here's the recipe, too simple:
  • 5-6 T. coconut oil
  • 1/4 c. baking soda
  • 1/4 c. cornstarch
  • (Optional:  a drop or two of essential oil, like lavender)
Mix it up thoroughly.  With the warm weather the coconut oil liquifies but that's fine.  Just mix it up with your finger just before use, and rub it lightly on.  Coconut oil is not a heavy oil like olive and absorbs readily into your skin, so there's not a residue on your clothes.  You need to remix with each use as long as it's liquified, but it will solidify with cooler temps.

I think that the effective ingredient is the coconut oil; it's anti-fungal and anti-microbial, so I think it takes care of the bacteria that causes odor.  At any rate, I've been amazed at the effectiveness of something so simple.

You could do a web search for more info on homemade deodorant.  It's been a happy discovery!


2 comments:

PurpleElectricity said...

I believe I say the same thing every time I read your blog. I have to try that!

Hope to see you soon!


God Bless

PurpleE

Anonymous said...

We used your deoderant recipe, and it works good. Thanks!